In the below post I’ll be answering some of the most frequently asked questions when making the change to senior flex golf clubs as well as showing some of the best options for golf clubs for senior golfers.
Golf really has no age limits, as long as you’re able bodied, you can have an enjoyable time on the golf course.
What are the best iron sets for senior golfers? I’ve ranked below the top 3 iron sets that all offer senior or light flex options. I’ve also included two putters that are recommended for game improvement.
As for drivers, I’ve recommended three clubs that offer the most forgiveness off the tee without sacrificing distance.
What makes certain clubs better for seniors?
There are a few factors that make certain clubs ideal for senior golfers. Typically you’ll see the following features:
- Increased club head size
- Decreased loft (on irons)
- More offset
- Increased bounce
- More flexible shaft
You may have noticed that age isn’t in this list. That’s because “seniors clubs” are wrongly named. They have nothing to do with your age and everything to do with your swing speed and ability to make contact with your ball.
In most cases, the best irons for senior golfers have increase club face size so there is more area of the face in the striking zone. In addition, they usually have lower lofts when compared to the same club in pro spec. For example, the loft of a 5 iron for pros is around 23.5° or higher while the loft on a game improvement 5 iron is closer to 22° or even lower in some cases.
Another major difference is the offset on the clubface. Offset on a golf club is the length the club face is behind the shaft. The below image shows the difference between an iron with lots of offset compared to an iron with minimal offset.
The reason for this is that by increasing the amount of offset, the more time there is in the golf swing to close the clubface through impact. This, combined with a lower swing speed, leads to straighter shots.
Another key difference between most golf clubs and seniors sets is the flex of the shaft. If you have a slower swing speed, adding more flex to your shaft will allow the clubhead to gain more slack in the downswing and allow the clubface to trail your hands for longer. This results in increased distance with minimal effort.
Reasons why you may want to look into senior flex clubs
- You can swing more freely which means less strain on your back and body.
- You don’t have to feel like you need to “crush” your shots, you can swing very casually to get the same distance.
- Your swing speed is below 85 MPH with your driver.
- You’re hitting push draws or just straight pushes.
When not to switch to seniors clubs
- You have an average or above average swing speed (85+ MPH).
- You are not having issues with distance compared to your peers (high swing speeds with senior flex won’t get you more distance).
- You hit your driver over 200 yards.
Best Iron Sets for Seniors
#1 – Callaway Big Bertha B21 Iron Set
- First Big Bertha designed by AI
- High ball speeds off the flash face
- Low center of gravity for high launch angles
- Low vibration
#2 – Callaway Mavrik Max Iron Set
- Industry leading ball speeds
- Soft feel and low vibration
- Maximum launch and forgiveness
- Large body and low CG
#3 – Taylormade SIM Max OS Iron Set
- Explosive distance and forgiveness
- Large face area increases stability
- Low center of gravity
- Damping system reduces vibration on impact
Best Putters for Seniors
#1 – Odyssey Triple Track Putter
- Extremely well balanced
- Has a ball made specifically for it
- Lightweight construction
#2 – Ping Sigma 2 Extendable Putter
- Extendable length putter
- Soft feel through impact
- Ball pickup works well
- Comfortable standard grip
Best Drivers for Seniors
#1 – Cobra F-Max Offset Driver
- Very lightweight and easy to swing
- Thin forged titanium face enhances ball speed
- Promotes higher launch and straighter ball flights
- Option for offset face (drastically reduce slices)
#2 – Cleveland Golf Launcher HB Driver
- Large impact area
- Lightweight and balanced feel
- Low center of gravity gives a high trajectory
#3 – TaylorMade SIM MAX-D Driver
- Twist face technology corrects common mis-hits
- Fully adjustable
- Large clubface
- Speed injected!
Whether you’re already an experienced golfer who is looking to swing easier, or are completely new to golf, all of the options above will be sure to improve your golf game. You should now be more informed on the best options for seniors when it comes to golf equipment and the reasons behind them.